1. "A Very Beautiful and Fertile Wheatland"
The Seventeenth-Century Settlement of the Hudson River Valley
2. "One Body Corporate and Politique"
Politics, Society, and Community in the Eighteenth-Century
3. "A Comfortable Subsistence"
Rural Economic Culture in the Eighteenth Century
4. "We Are Daily Alarmed, and Our Streets Filled with Mobs"
The Revolution in the Valley, 1775-1785
5. "The Farmer Now Sells for Money"
Hudson Valley Farmers and the Market Revolution, 1785-1820
6. "The Harbingers of Commerce"
Mid-Hudson Valley and the Creation of a Market Society, 1820-1850
"A Diversified Economy and Society"
The Mid-Hudson Valley and the Mid-Nineteenth Century